This might not interest that many people, but it might be of use to someone.
I run a little jabber server at my university including some "Bots"; that provide services.
I decided to rewrite the Bots in ruby when their java versions just wouldn't want to start anymore after moving to a 64 bit VM. Stephan had writen a java framework to keep the old ones running and reconnecting, which sadly couldn't be used anymore.
Here is a new framework I wrote in ruby, it currently:

  • checks a "plugins"; directory for new Bots (botname/init.rb has to exist)

  • starts the (new) bots

  • checks if the old bots crashed and relaunches their thread

  • notices if you remove a Bot and kills the matching thread

I guess it's pretty ugly code and sure needs some refactoring, but it works :)